Tuesday 20 May 2008

Seeing Orange!

I got a call from my ex-partner whose PC had decided to stop working in the middle of a conversation she was having. You can imagine she was not best pleased. I worked through the usual list of support stuff with her over the phone, eventually concluding that she was not actually connected. A look at the Orange website suggested (well positively screamed) that all was well. I wandered over to her place and spent an unhappy four hours attempting to sort out the most puzzling of problems. Connections were intermittent and up and down faster than the underwear of a lady of negotiable affection!

Eventually my ex-partner called their technical people when around six I admitted defeat and when calling their support number (at national rate!) what did we find? They were experiencing problems with people not being able to connect to the internet.

I was pretty pissed off, having wasted hours trying to fix this machine, the problem was the idiots at Orange had not bothered to update their 'everything is wonderful' status page and therefore encouraged people to call their support service to listen to a recorded message which said the opposite. If she had called in a repair person he would have charged her anything up to a couple of hundred quid for that, since there was every reason to believe that the issue was with the rig!

"The future is Orange" I bloody well hope not!

No comments: